Thursday 19 May 2016

Life And Death

Some undoubtedly think my comments on death, are a little insensitive. The sad truth is, that there are many fates far worse than death.

I have seen them, locked away on the top floor. Lying in beds in darkened rooms unable to move, crying desperate tears on the inside, that no one can hear.

In 1981 I survived a burst appendix after driving myself (in agony) to hospital, I made it just in time, or so I was told. However, that wasn't the end of it; peritonitis had set in.

I lost three stone in weight. You know you're in trouble when your loved ones arrive, take one look at you and burst into tears? And finally, after having tubes shoved down my throat, making me throw up (dark red stuff) and bursting my freshly sewn stitches... I'd had enough of that.

I pulled the tubes out and turned the doctors away. Peritonitis is quite often, fatal and they told me that I was "seriously endangering my life". The truth is, I didn't care... because there comes a point where you no longer do.

I was ready to die. I wasn't afraid. I'm not religious or I'm not a member at least... but I've always kind of known that which I know.

No one in this place, has control over life and death. They might think that they do, but they only know, or think they know, the things that they can measure or see.

I didn't die that day because it wasn't my day to die... but I did have a kind of practice run at it? Just for a short while, long enough to know for certain, that no one really dies.

Don't be afraid of death... after all, living is so often, far more frightening. And death is so often and for so many, a welcome release, from suffering.

Be grateful, and hope that you've earned yourself a good death, when you can be on your way... to whatever fate awaits you. But that won't happen until it's meant to, on your dying day.

Peace be with you. <-